1. In view of the currently continuing pandemic posed by Covid-19, Indian Administration vide DGS Order No. 16 of 2021 has granted extension of Certificate of Competency (CoCs) and/or Certificate of Proficiency (CoPs) until 31.12.2021 or one contract, whichever is later and irrespective of whether a seafarer has availed extension under any previous DGS Order/SOP OR is ashore OR on board the ship at the time of issue of this Order (28 April 2021) subject to following conditions;
i. Master and Officer who are ashore can demonstrate continued professional competence on the date of issue of this Order (28 April 2021) by following way:
a.Extension of COC/COP under Regulation II, III or VI of the STCW Convention except Dangerous Cargo Endorsements:
Continued professional competence as required under STCW regulation I/11 is to be established by approved seagoing service, performing functions appropriate to the certificate held, for a period of at least.
1. Twelve months in total during the preceding five years, or
2. Three months in total during the preceding six months immediately prior to revalidating;
3. Ship Owners & RPSL Companies are required to verify aforesaid requirements as required vide STCW Regulation I/14, paragraph 1.1 prior employing the seafarer.
b. COP for Dangerous Cargo under Regulation V of the STCW Convention: Continued professional competence for tankers, as required under Regulation I/11, is to be established by;
1. Approved seagoing service, performing the duties appropriate to the tanker certificate or endorsement held, for a period of at least three months in total during the preceding five years; or
2. Successfully completing an approved relevant training course or courses.
ii. There is no requirement for demonstration of Continued Professional Competency, as required under (i), for Ratings, Electro Technical Officers (ETO) and other petty officers such as pump man / Fitter, etc who have sailed on ships in last five years and for all those seafarers who are already onboard ship to avail the benefit of extension under the DGS Order No. 16 of 2021.
2. DGS Order 16 of 2021 is valid till 31st July 2021. Accordingly, Seafarers joining ships on/prior to 31st July 2021 can avail of the benefit of extension under this Order.
3. Ship owners/ operators and masters of Indian flagged ships are advised to be guided by above.
4. This Technical Circular supersedes and revokes earlier Technical Circular No. 003/2021, dated 11th January 2021.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.