- Director General of shipping, GOI vide DGS Order No. 05 of 2019 (copy attached) has imposed a ban on single use plastic on all Indian ships and foreign ships while in Indian waters, as follows;
- Items prohibited w.e.f. 01.01.2020:
Following Single use plastics are prohibited to be used on board Indian ships and foreign ships when such ships are at a port or place in India;
- Bags, trays, containers, food packaging film;
- Milk bottles, freezer bags, shampoo bottles, ice cream containers;
- Bottles for water and other drinks, dispensing containers for cleaning fluids, biscuit trays;
- Hot drink cups, insulated food packaging, protective packaging for fragile items;
- Microwave dishes, ice cream tubs, potato chip bags, bottle caps.
- Items prohibited with immediate effect:
- Dispensing containers for cleaning fluids which are less than 10 litres volume.
- Garbage and shopping bags; and
- Up-to 10 litres bottles for water and other drinks;
- Cutlery, plates and cups;
- Enforcement of above requirements on Foreign Flag ships:
- Verification of compliance to the above requirement to ensure that Single use plastics are not used/ stored on board any ship will be done during surveys, inspections and audits of Indian ships.
- Further, during Flag State Inspections, in case of non-compliance to the above requirement, a deficiency will be raised to be rectified prior departure. If same deficiency is repeated during next inspection, it may lead to detention by Flag State Inspector.
- Enforcement of above requirements on Indian ships:
- During Port State Inspection, verification will be carried out to ensure that Single use plastics are not in use and are kept locked in a store during ships stay in Indian ports and on their passage through the territorial waters of India.
- Foreign ships intending to enter an Indian port are advised to make a log entry identifying the “Single Use Plastic Items” on board the ship and stating the time, latitude and longitude when along with the location of the store where these items are stored prior entering Indian territorial waters. Further no single use plastic items are to be discharged to port reception facility at an Indian port. Same will be verified during Port State Inspection.
- Ship owners, operators and masters are advised to be guided by above.
- DGS Order No. 05 of 2019 dated 16th October 2019.
This Technical Circular and the material contained in it is provided only for the purpose of supplying current information to the reader and not as an advice to be relied upon by any person. While we have taken utmost care to be as factual as possible, readers/ users are advised to verify the exact text and content of the Regulation from the original source/ issuing Authority.