To enable the participant to carry out the functions of Designated Person Ashore (DPA) under the provisions of ISM.
DPA is a key, shore-based person, who is responsible for effective implementation of the company's safety management system and for promoting safety culture DPA verifies and monitors all safety and pollution prevention activities in the operation of each ship. It is therefore imperative that such a person is given appropriate orientation and skills to carry out this vital function.
According to the guidelines of DG (Shipping), the DPA should possess:
• Adequate shipboard sailing experience as Chief Engineer or Master
• Knowledge and understanding of ISM Code, mandatory rules and regulations, applicable codes, guidelines and standards
• Knowledge on assessment technique of examining, questioning, evaluating and reporting, technical or operational aspects of safety management, appropriate knowledge of shipping and shipboard operations experience of participation in at least one marine-related management system audit and
• Effective communication with shipboard staff and senior management and should be able to determine effectiveness of SMS by using Internal Audits, Management Review
• Be able to gather and analyse data from hazardous occurrences situations, near misses, incidents and accidents and apply the lessons learnt to improve the SMS.